- The longest place name in Ireland is Muckanaghederdauhaulia, in County Galway. Best of luck pronouncing that one lads!
- Shannon became the world’s first duty-free airport in 1947, and we’ve been buying tax-free liquor and perfume ever since. Of course Ireland would hold record for the first country to sell alcohol tax-free.
- Ireland is the third largest island in Europe and the twentieth largest in the world. Yes that’s right, turns out our island isn’t so tiny after all.
- Ireland is the only country in the world that has a musical instrument – the harp – as its national symbol. The oldest known harp in existence is housed in Trinity College, Dublin. It dates back to at least 1300.
- The Newgrange passage tomb was built around 3200 BC, making it more than 600 years older than the Giza Pyramids in Egypt.
October 23, 2015
Categories:Big Boss News